Monday, November 30, 2009

Daybook November 30, 2009



For Today...

November 30, 2009

Good-bye Thanksgiving...Hello Advent!

Outside my window... Darkness again.  The daytime was beautiful though.  Clear blue sky, nary a cloud in sight.  We've had the windows opened for the last several days, but we closed up again since it is getting warmer (again).

I am thinking...that I really hope Velcro Boy's foot gets better, like overnight :)  He got bit by an ant Saturday afternoon and by Sunday morning his foot was really swollen up.  It was even worse this morning, so we took him to the doctor.  Benadryl and Epsom salt soaks.  Gee...so THAT's what they go to school for all those years.

I am thankful for...the kids getting over their colds!  They've all been sick, but now seem to be doing much better.  Glad it didn't get worse before it got better.

From the learning rooms... back to school!  We started back again this morning after taking the last 2 weeks off.  Actually we started back on Saturday with just a bit of grammar and some math to ease back into it.  The kids had been giving me a hard time during our first day or two back after a break, but things went much better this time.  We're doing half days for the next 2-3 weeks so we have plenty of time for crafts, cooking and playing.  Then we'll be off until after Christmas. 

From the kitchen...leftovers!  And breakfast for supper since Velcro Boy (and I) had such a hard day.

I am wearing... black shorts and a pink t-shirt.  Bare foot, of course.

I am creating...a Jesse Tree!  And a bunch of lists.  I've found a few Advent and Christmas reading lists at some blogs I frequent (see my side-bar).  Plus the list of crafts is still growing.  We're making Christmas presents this year, so we'll be doing some candy making and baking as well as crafting for that.  Then of course there are the treats for our family, and a few to share.  The new Advent calendar is done!!!!  Pictures below.

I am going...to get the house clean, grocery shop and get my lists in order tomorrow.  he he he.  Who am I kidding?!?

I am reading...several things.
Long-term:
MOM's a Personal Journal by Paula Hagen and Vickie LoPiccolo Jennett. This is a study course to help us realize the importance of our ministries as mothers.  I'm almost done with this course and I highly recommend it.  It has really led me to dig deep into myself and I've formed some new friendships too.

Short-term:
Homeschooling the Challenging Child by Christine Field.  Velcro Boy isn't the most cooperative student (yes, I KNOW he's only 4), so I thought she might have some good ideas.  I read another book she wrote, Help for the Harried Homeschooler and it was very informative.


Advent/Christmas reading:

Advent and Christmas Wisdom from GK Chesterton.


God With Us: Rediscovering the meaning of Christmas by multiple authors.  Edited by Greg Pennoyer & Gregory Wolfe.

Both are a collection of daily reflections lasting through Advent and Christmas.  Each day's reflection isn't very long, but they are insightful.


I am hoping...I can keep ahead of the days while I go about making the ornaments for the Jesse tree.  I only finished through day 6 so far, with 23 left to go.  There are several days that I'll need to double up on the readings.  The things on my lists are all GOOD things.  I just hope I can get, and keep, sight of the BEST things for our family and get them all done.  While keeping Advent fun.


I am hearing...just the hum of electronics.  The kids are sleeping and hubs is working.

Around the house...It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.  OK, not really, but it is a slow work in progress :)  The Advent stuff is out.  The Thanksgiving stuff is put away.  And the boxes of Christmas stuff is out and waiting to be put to use.

One of my favorite things...silence.  Enough said.

A few plans for the rest of the week: cleaning, groceries, nursing an injured foot, Jesse tree, MOM's meeting

Here is picture thought I am sharing...




When I first purchased this box, I thought it shouldn't be too much trouble to do this...  Famous last words.  It was sooo tedious!  Now I'm not one for shirking away from a tedious job.  Just let me know going into it that it's going to be that way.  Everything needed a second coat of paint.  The doors needed to be painted on all *6* sides. The insides of each of the 24 boxes needed to be painted on all *5* sides, plus a little lip at the bottom of each box to keep the door from going in.  Then the dividers between each box.  To top it all off, the train on top was a huge pain!  Ahhh...the rant is done.  The box is done.  And it came out remarkably well, if I do say so myself :)  I'm putting the Jesse tree ornaments in the boxes along with a dark chocolate Hershey's kiss.  Appropriately wrapped in purple foil :)

I'll post the rest of our Advent decorations under a separate post ;)

To view more daybooks, please visit Peggy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I enjoy reading your comments.
God Bless!