Monday, January 18, 2010

Daybook January 18, 2010

For Today...

January 18, 2010


Outside my window... cooler than the past few days, but not nearly as cold as it was for a couple of weeks there.  Partly cloudy, but nice.

I am thinking...that I need to get to the gym later today.  I'm really enjoying going.  I never thought I would.  Exercise? Enjoy? Me?  Are you kidding???  But it's a lot of fun to watch the calories burned counter going up up up!

I am thankful for...non-moving ground and so many things that we take for granted that the people in Haiti don't have right now.

From the learning rooms... back to school (again!).  After a week back, we ended taking last week off too.  I wasn't at all motivated, things kept coming up and I needed to be productive in some planning areas.  I've made quite a few changes.



We never really had direction on Social Studies, so I found some direction!  We're doing some World History with this program:

Old Testament and Ancient Cultures: Creation to 63 B.C.
Focusing on the Biblical history of the Israelites as the "chosen people" sent to prepare the world for the coming of the Messiah, Volume One includes the surrounding cultures of the Mediterranean world: Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, Rome.

Some American History through this.  She refers to it as the American History Trail and offers a few options.  They start Colonial America shortly before the Revolutionary War, so I'm going to fill in The Pilgrims and up to that point with library books as well as some we already have.  If you look at her site, it looks like it's totally too much (and it probably is :) ), so we'll only be following it loosely.

Throughout our history studies, we'll be making a timeline scrapbook.  This site also has lots of options for history projects when the boys are a bit older.

We're also going to do some US Geography.  We're going to study the states in order of statehood and make a scrapbook as we go along.  Ideas found here.

For Science we're doing some computer science.  I found a basic computer book (for seniors) that's written to be understandable to a 6-year old, as well as a few other intro books on computers.  The Professor's enjoying them so far and seems to be learning quickly.

In a few weeks we're going to introduce a Physics course my parents picked up for us last year.  I'm embarrassed to say I've had it for a while and haven't started it yet.  I think it's going to be lots of fun.

I also found this!  I think it's going to be right up The Professor's alley.  Not sure when we'll start it though.  Boy meets machine!  He'll love it!

Everything else is going well.  Except spelling.  It's not even a matter of him not getting it.  That's the problem.  He does get it.  Too well.  He's 6, and in a 3rd grade spelling book, knocking it out too quickly.  We do a lesson, then I quiz him on the next 2-4 lessons.  If he gets all the words, then he doesn't have to do the written work.  When I make him do a lesson, he drags his feet forever.  Regardless of incentive/punishment.  He doesn't like to do spelling.  He doesn't really need to either.  We may table it for a while and come back to it another way later.



On to the Alphabet Path for Velcro Boy and Doodlebug.

From the kitchen...tomato soup for lunch and bean tacos for dinner (totally yummy homemade refried beans!).

On weight-loss...Last week: down 2.8.  This week:I'm up a pound from last week.
 
I am wearing... back to shorts again (for 2 days).  Tan shorts and a deep purple scoop-necked t-shirt.  Barefoot.

I am creating...more lists!  Lots of books to buy, borrow or steal :)  See the above.

And a new ministry!

I am going...to start a Jesus tree soon!

I am reading...nothing at the moment!

I am hoping...that I can accomplish all that *I* would like to this year.  I wonder what other plans God has in store for me :)

I am hearing...silence.  The kids are asleep.

Around the house...Christmas if finally put away.  The Nativity is still up in honor of the old calendar marking Christmas season until Feb 2nd as the presentation of Mary.  Otherwise just reclaiming some spaces for decorations and toys.

One of my favorite things...perusing homeschool catalogs.  It's almost that time of the year again!

A few plans for the rest of the week: school, grocery shopping, MOM's meeting, oh...and my first...massage!  I can't wait.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...
I only looked away for a minute!



Doodlebug's belly.  He was scribbling on paper with a pen.  I only walked away for a minute!  Honest!  I found this a while later when I changed his diaper.


To view more daybooks, please visit Peggy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I enjoy reading your comments.
God Bless!